Storyboarding

I'm back with another post yall! Today I will share a mock storyboard I made for S5E13 of Breaking Bad (BrBa), entitled "To'hajiilee." Specifically, the first few scenes feature here.

Spoiler Warning, of course (but it's over 10 years old, so if you haven't seen it, then it's your loss).
Cringe Warning, it is awful.


As I said, awful. Let's break this thing down.

Hank arresting Walt:
The shot is filmed from a low angle titled up to give power to Hank, who is about to capture his Heisenberg, the man he's been chasing for 2 years. In this part, Hank is arresting Walt, duh. Walt is a beat man. He is done, given up, whatever.
Hank looking at Walt:
After, we get an OTS shot of Hank looking at Walt. It is a very shallow shot, one of those rear ones we don't usually get in BrBa.
Close-Up of Walt:  This shows Walt's expression: He is defeated.
Walt goes first, just to clarify. This one is out of order on the storyboard. We see him, once again, looking defeated, washed out, and otherwise dead isn't. We know he knows he can't get out of this.
Close-Up of Jesse:
Compare that to Jesse's close-up, we see a sense of relief, reality finally being set in for a traumatized Pinkman.

What'd I learn?
I learned a lot about storyboarding. I realized that it takes a lot to capture detail and every tiny scene needs its own board. Clearly, I am NOT good at that. Storyboarding is extremely important because it gives the director and actors, and everyone in the production of a film the ability to visualize what the scene is meant to look like without actually wasting time by doing something that you'd think would look good, but ended up not.


I also realized that storyboarding is really challenging... like you gotta be an actual artist to do that stuff. I can't say I tried my best, but I am in an art class and I know that I shouldn't be. Art isn't my thing, and storyboarding is art. I can't imagine how tiring it must be to have to be that creative tens of hundreds or even tens of thousands of times, especially for like animated films where the storyboard is probably like every 5 frames, but the actual animation is every single frame. 


Storyboarding is truly crazy and I hope this is the only time I have to storyboard in this course. 😂


Bye y'all, cya next time!




Comments

Popular Posts