10 Camera Shots/Angles

Hey yall, I'm back with another post! Today, I'm posting a couple camera shots and angles that a couple of my friends and I shot in class earlier, goofing around and having some fun.




NOTE: These shots are mostly not in any sort of sequence of events. Any explanation for the actions acted in them is given for context/ examples.

Establishing Shot

Starting off with the Establishing Shot is very crucial. Right now, we are in the media center of Hollywood Hills High School. This is important to establish that we are in a resource-rich environment, in terms of literacy and knowledge. This shot was perhaps the easiest to film since all we had to do was pan the camera across the room.

Master Shot

Next, we move to the master shot. Brian and I are researching a project we have in another class. This shot is important to establish the main characters and their relationship with one another and the environment they see themselves in. 

This shot was also pretty easy to film and was fun to "act" out.

Close-up Shot


Now, the close-up. In this extremely close and personal shot, I might be noticing something in the distance or trying to convey an emotion I have towards something previously. Close-up shots are meant to drive emotion and suspense, usually to build the rising action of a plot. 

I wish I didn't change my facial expression, especially towards the end, but we didn't feel like refilming it, because it didn't need to be perfect.

Mid-Shot


We move into the mid-shot. By giving them equal space in the frame, mid-shots emphasize both the character and their surroundings. Right now, Brian I looking off, possibly getting a little defensive. 

We didn't have much creativity in this shot, but it fits the narrative we were trying to set, so I'm proud of it.

Long Shot
Look at Ernest in this example of a long shot! In a long shot, a view of a scene is filmed at a distance, usually to make the subject an indistinct shape. We didn't nearly achieve this effect because of space constraints, but ultimately this fills that purpose.

For this shot, we actually had to refilm because we weren't happy with the original outcome, but in the end, we got the shot we desired.

Wide Shot
In another shot that we couldn't get 100% accurate... again... due to space... THE WIDE SHOT. In this scene, Ernest and I are reaching for the same book, and we have a scuffle over it. A wide shot is very similar to a long shot, except in a wide shot, it is meant to establish the characters' environment surrounding them.

For this shot, we actually had to refilm because we weren't happy with the original outcome, but in the end, we got the shot we desired. 

Two-Shot
A two-shot is a conversational shot, used to display conversations... duh. In this scene, Brian and I discuss how his dog got hit by a bus, sad. In the end, we walked away like nothing happened, no emotion, like an NPC in a Ubisoft game. 

I couldn't help but laugh at Brian's improvised story, it was too good!

Aerial Shot
In an aerial shot, the camera is positioned above the subject and looks down on it. Aerial shots can create the illusion of flying or hovering over a landscape because of the perspective created.

See, I didn't know what we were doing in this shot, so I just grabbed a book and pretended to smash it over Ernest's head.

Point-of-View (POV) Shot
A POV shot is when you film from the perspective of the subject, or their point of view... see the correlation? In this shot, Brian and I are having a conversation.

Over-the-Shoulder (OTS) Shot
An OTS shot is where you film from over the shoulder of the subject... see the correlation... again? This and the POV shot are pretty similar, and in this shot, we can see just how short I am... 5'8..., no really.

High Angle
A high angle is used to make someone or something seem smaller. We didn't quite get this one right, but look at the back of Brian's head!

Low Angle
A low angle is used to make someone or something seem empowered, quite the opposite of a high angle, literally! This one we did a lot better, and look at Brian and how empowered he is!

and finally..... the Canted (Dutch) Angle
The Dutch angle is used to disorientate the viewer. I have no comments... please no questions.

After all of this, I do believe this could've been better. However, I know that these shots properly convey how to make these shots and angles. My friends and I had a lot of fun with this little project, and I am happy with how it turned out. 

See y'all next time!






Comments

Popular Posts